ACOUSTICAL WALL TREATMENT
PART 001 GENERAL
1. Section Includes: Acoustical wall panels as follows:
1. Acoustical fabric faced wall panels
2. Acoustical vinyl faced wall panels
2. Applications Include:
1. Wall panels exposed to medium abuse
2. Wall panels with impact resistant high density facer
3. Tackable panels
4. Permanent installation
5. Movable installation
3. Related Sections:
1. Section 09510, "Acoustical Ceiling Panels"; Fabric faced ceiling panels.
2. Section 09810, "Acoustical Space Units"; Ceiling baffles
1. ASTM E 84: Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials
2. ASTM C 423: Test Method for Sound Absorption and Sound Absorption Coefficients by the Reverberation Room Method
1. Product Data:
1. Manufacturer's technical information and instructions for handling, storing, and installing.
2. Certification by manufacturer that products supplied comply with requirements.
2. Shop Drawings: Submit elevations showing wall panel layout and items installed in wall.
3. Samples: Submit 12" x 12" sample of each type of wall panel.
4. Test Reports: Submit test reports from an independent testing agency indicating compliance with requirements.
1.4 QUALITY ASSURANCE
1. Installer Qualifications: Engage an installer, acceptable to the manufacturer, and who has completed installations with a record of successful in-service performance.
2. Provide acoustical wall panels that comply with the following requirements:
1. Fire tests shall be performed by independent testing agency acceptable to authorities having jurisdiction.
2. Surface-burning characteristics of acoustical panels shall comply with Class A materials as determined by testing per ASTM E 84:
1. Flame Spread: 25 or less.
2. Smoke Developed: 450 or less.
3. Products shall be identified with name of testing agency.
3. Mock-up: Provide mockup as follows:
1. Prepare mock-up of at least 60 sq. ft. of wall panels.
2. After mock-up is approved, these surfaces will be used to evaluate final installation.
3. Obtain the Architect's approval of samples before starting application.
1.5 DELIVERY, STORAGE, AND HANDLING
1. Packing, Shipping and Handling: Deliver materials to the Project site in manufacturer's original, unopened packages bearing the manufacturer's name, and the following information:
1. Product name.
2. Manufacturer's stock number and date of manufacture.
3. Installation instructions.
4. Handling instructions and precautions.
2. Storage and Protection: Store materials in enclosed shelter providing protection from damage and exposure to the elements. Damaged or deteriorated materials shall be removed from the premises.
1.6 PROJECT CONDITIONS
1. Temperature Conditions: Install wall panels when temperature conditions are within manufacturer's limits and will be maintained within those limits during occupancy.
1. Warranty: Submit a written warranty, executed by the manufacturer, agreeing to replace acoustical wall panels that fail within the specified warranty period.
2. Warranty Period: 1 years from the date of Substantial Completion.
1. Furnish extra materials. Package materials in unopened, factory-sealed containers for storage and identify with labels. Deliver extra materials to the Owner.
1. Materials: Furnish the Owner with an additional 2 percent of material, including full size panels.
PART 002 PRODUCTS
1. Products: Subject to compliance with requirements, provide the following products:
[EDIT SELECTIONS REQUIRED FOR PROJECT.]
1. Silentspace Wall Panels; ESSI Acoustical Products Company
1. Model W-103: Faced rigid fiber glass core with metal edge
2. Model W-104: Faced rigid fiber glass core with metal edge for impact resistant exposure
3. Model W-105: Mineral core for tackable application
4. Model W-106: Faced rigid fiber glass core with chemically hardened edge
5. Model W-107: Faced rigid fiber glass core with chemically hardened edge for impact resistant exposure
1. Rigid Fiber Glass Core: Manufacturer's standard rigid fiber glass core.
1. Nominal density: 6 lb./cu. ft.
2. Impact Resistant Fiber Glass Core: Manufacturer's standard rigid fiber glass core 6 to 7 lb./cu. Ft. density with a 1/8" thick fiber glass facer 16 lbs/cu. ft. density laminated to the core.
3. Mineral Board Core: Manufacturer's standard mineral board core.
1. Nominal density: 18 lb./cu. ft.
4. Facing Material: Manufacturer's standard facing material.
[EDIT OPTIONS BELOW]
1. Fabric: Guilford FR 701 [Custom Fabric (specify type)]
2. Perforated Vinyl facing: Genon Stipple II [Custom vinyl (specify type)]
2.3 ACOUSTICAL WALL PANELS
1. Acoustical Wall Panels: Provide acoustical panels complying with the following:
[EDIT OPTIONS BELOW. NOTE: ONLY SQUARE EDGE IS AVAILABLE ON GALVANIZED STEEL EDGE PANELS W-103 W-104]
1. Facing: Fabric [Vinyl] faced one side, including reveals, if any.
2. Core Construction: Rigid fiberglass with [Galvanized steel frame edge] [Chemically hardened edge] [Mineral board core]
3. Edge Detail: Square. [Bevel.] [Miter] Radius]
4. Thickness: 1 inch [2 inches]
5. Size: 48" wide x 96" high [48" wide X 120" high] [Custom as shown on Drawings.]
6. Noise Reduction Coefficient: ASTM E 423, NRC 0.80 for 1" thick panels [NRC 1.05 for 2" thick panels]
7. Fire rating: Class A, ASTM E84
8. Installation: Permanent [Movable]
2.4 WALL PANEL ACCESSORIES
1. Provide manufacturer's standard wall panel attachment accessories.
2. Attachment Devices:
1. Mechanical Clips: Two-part panel "Z" clips, with one part attached to back of panel and the other part to wall. Attachment hardware designed to allow for panel removal.
2. Impaling Plates: Metal impaling plates mechanically attached to wall according to manufacturer's recommended pattern.
3. Velcro Fasteners: Two-part "Velcro" fasteners adhesively attached to wall and to back of panels according to manufacturer's recommended pattern.
4. Magnetic hangers: Two part magnetic tape system with magnetic tape adhesively attached to wall and to back of panel according to manufacturer's recommended pattern.
[ADHESIVE IS FOR PERMANENT INSTALLATION]
5. Adhesive: Manufacturer's recommended adhesive applied to back of panels in pattern recommended by manufacturer.
[INCLUDE BELOW FOR SUPPORT OF LARGE PANELS]
6. Leveling Angle: In combination with other attachment hardware, provide continuous metal leveling support angle mechanically attached to wall designed to support full weight of panel.
PART 003 EXECUTION
1. Examine conditions, with the Installer present, under which wall panels will be installed for compliance with manufacturer's installation requirements.
1. Acoustical installation shall not begin until wet work such as concrete, plastering and terrazzo work is completely dry.
2. Installation shall not begin until the building has been closed to the weather and suitable mechanical ventilation is supplied to maintain condition ranges of 60 degrees F to 85 degrees F at not more than 70% Relative Humidity.
3. Notify the Architect in writing of anticipated problems.
4. Begin installation after unsatisfactory conditions have been corrected.
5. Start of work within a particular area will be construed as the Installer's acceptance of surface conditions.
1. Immediately before installation, panels shall be stored for a sufficient time to stabilize temperature and humidity conditions ambient during installation and anticipated for occupancy.
2. Install wall panels according to manufacturer's written instructions.
3. Install acoustical panels fitted accurately into pattern indicated. Scribe panels to fit adjacent construction. Cut edges shall have fabric wrapped around cut edge.
1. Clean exposed surfaces of acoustical wall panels. Comply with manufacturer's written instructions for cleaning panels. Remove and replace wall panels that cannot be cleaned completely.
2. At end of each workday, remove waste materials and other discarded materials from the Project site.
END OF SECTION